on 6/10/2008 08:03:00 pm

Urban dweller is what I am. I need a bustling metropolis and the speed, action and the adventure associated with it to fuel my soul. Hyderabad is charming city having all of those and more albeit in its own way under its own terms of ease and laidback nature. The nawabi spirit is deeply embedded in our way of life and well we are one of the laziest cities I know or have heard of. Are we concerned about it. Nahi bhai liite lo. Jo hai theek thaak hai.


Hyderabad is one of the most likeable cities in this country. Those who live here are perennially in love and those who visit always want to come back. The people are friendly and help is offered without being asked at the slightest indication of you being in trouble. It has got an awesome climate (yes I say that in spite of the hitherto never been so hot summer) and impeccably location(12 hours away from 3 other big cities in India).

Hyderabad has an immense potential of being one of the best cities in the world in terms of development, prosperity and progress. In typical desi style we talk and promise a lot but always do as little as (legally) possible. We see big things for ourselves but woefully fall short of meeting targets or at least fulfilling them. We are culturally diverse and each has multiple identities. Wear what fits for now. Think about it later. We are too lazy to change but jump for it when it does happen somehow. Yaha aisa hi hotha hai.

And for these particular reasons (and all those you will learn in future) I have a love-hate relationship with this city.

But regardless of what I feel from time to time I certainly know it is an integral part of me and my personality. When I get back here from an outstation visit and step down, with all my senses I know this place. This place called home.


-V-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever been frustrated because you did not find a store open when you were up in the morning? Then you will have to re-define what mornings are! For a Hyderabadi, a morning is when the sun is right on top of your head, about eleven-ish. You will never hear a resident here complain about the shops that open late! Am I complaining? Hell, no!


You would not be crucified if you don't know the language. Sometimes I wonder if it has any particular language. Broken Hindi? Torn Telugu? Doesn't matter. People have an amazing knack of getting you right each time. Well, I may be exaggerating. When you love something, you do it wholly with all its flaws.

There is this undying friendly spirit that is irreplaceable. Jiyo, tho jaano. I have seen strangers smile at me, for no reason at all. I have smiled all day at strangers and have been spared the weird look. Accidentally bumped in to a car with your scooty? Apologetic smile avoids an expletive filled tete-a-tete. I am not saying we are very tolerant, but we do try and avoid hassles.

Why am I telling you all this, now? Do as I say. Settle with a cutting of Irani chai for a journey that you will explore with us. Knowing us, we will rub a little of the Hyderabadi charm on you! Kyun, sab khairiat?

-black coffee-


5 comments:

lukkydivz said...

Lolz akki, whether i am in hyderabad or in some corner of the world...my morning anyway starts at 11 :P :P


nice work!!

ElmerFuddnavis said...

Hyderabad rox ..though the arsehole i am, i have to but tell you that one particular evening made me ashamed of being one .... for SOME Hydbaddies' ubiquitous omnipresence felt like a hot sharp rod up my backside for the 200 odd minutes I spent at the Rajiv Gandhi Stadium watching the IPL game between the Deccan Chargers and the Kolkata Knight Riders

Heres why:

A large section of the Hyderabad crowd booed and openly made monkey chants directed towards Tatanda Taibu, who happened to be fielding at near us long off. Oh! And he also happened to be the only black player in the team! The filthy half breeds then went on to yell out abuses of the worst kind totally oblivious to the numerous families, kids and elderly sitting nearby. And then, to top everything, they hooted and cat-called and whistled at the cheerleaders stationed near us - so much so that the group actually relocated to a different spot on the ground during the second half. The worst part - the mongrels didn't even possess valid tickets to enter the section of the stadium I was sitting in and when asked by the authorities to leave, in typical hyderabadi style they proclaimed innocence by using the beautiful trump card-like argument that all Hyderabadis are born possessing - "Adjust kar lo miya"
Yeah, so every city has its share of hooligans and rowdy sheeters. The worst part - these rabid bull dogs, who nearly outnumbered the the civilized section of spectators apparently attended the the most prestigious colleges in the city - which was evident when one gay bitch yelled out "CBIT rocks"

Anonymous said...

ahh... see i can relate with this..big in the army has made me travel quite a lot and really in hyd laguange is not a problem..not compared to how they refuse to talk if u dnt know tamil or kannada... yeha in bangalore too.....

speaking iof development... hyd has a very very very imp place as far as the army is concerned atleast for the engineering and the medical corps..they have rich history down there...i hope u will do a feature on them too

Unknown said...

Hyd always has a special place for me evokes mixed feelings.

Was there recently for a short trip and the cabbie took me through a route I only remember taking during school.

Sigh!! I love to hate this city and vice versa. And biryani with Double ka meetha and the irani chai!!

I'm gonna get nostalgic on this.

Nikita said...

I guess thats exactly why people say 'once a hyderabadi, always a hyderabadi' :)
'twas a nice light post :)